Every summer I head out to my local farm at the peak of raspberry season to pick fresh raspberries to make jam. As a result, I have acquired quite a large collection of jars that I use for many different purposes around the house. Although the jars are lovely in a very understated way, I thought it would be fun to give them a splash of color. I’m excited to share this fun and simple DIY project with you today!
DIY Colored Mason Jars
– Mason jar
– Glossy Modge Podge
– Food coloring (I used Wilton food coloring gel)
– Fill a mason jar with 1/8″ of Modge Podge.
– Using a clean toothpick, add one drop of food coloring to the mason jar and mix until the mixture is no longer white.
– Swirl the mixture around the inside of the jar, until the entire jar is covered.
– Turn the jar upside down on a paper plate and allow for the excess liquid to drip off (about 45-60 minutes).
– After the remaining mixture has drained onto the plate, place the mason jar in an upright position on a clean paper plate to dry completely (1-2 days).
*After coloring the mason jars, food cannot be served or stored in the jars.
I filled my mason jar with flowers that my little girl picked while on a stroll around the neighborhood. I especially love the way the jars look when the sunlight seeps through the glass.
I also use mason jars to organize my many knitting needles and crochet hooks. I am in so in love with the deep violet color of this particular mason jar.
The best thing about this project is that it was a way to up cycle something I already owned into something even better. Instead of sitting around in my cupboards collecting dust, my mason jars have been turned into pretty containers for a variety of uses. I’d love to see what you do with this project to make it your own!